Sunday, July 12, 2009

Thing #22

I love the way this Thing started with the quote, "When one of us gets smarter, we all do." I have seen and felt this throughout my 23 Things Adventure! I also felt it was important to become familiar with these tools because our students already are. We have to keep up with them, and we need to understand what they are talking about. Facebook is huge among the kids, and it is time for me to jump in. I have been reluctant, to say the least. Throughout my blog you have heard my hesitation to put myself out there. However, I believe in the learning community and the social community, and I do believe in modeling appropriate uses for the students. Hence, my interest in Facebook. It was certainly easy to join and fun to add friends. I can see this as being a great way to connect with old high school friends. I am not much for talking on the phone and like this type of interface because I can communicate in my leisure, which is often after midnight. The format is easy to manipulate, but I will continue to play with the different parts of Facebook. I have not added any pictures, but know it will be easy to do. This is one tool my kids can help me with. You can find me and join me in this adventure if you like!

I am not sure about educational uses yet. Making connections with other teachers might give me an opportunity to share ideas, but I see other tools as a better format than Facebook. I do like the control over your settings and the ability to keep some things private or make some things public. Insights---you can tell a lot about a person by what they are willing to display publicly!!! Basically, this is one more communication tool. The benefits include the accessibility to others, the casual format, the ability to post pictures, quotes, thoughts, and the ability to update anytime, anywhere. It is just fun to keep up with others! I think that is what I have enjoyed about most of the social networking tools. I can keep up with them on my terms---in my time frame. Can you tell I tend to like to have control? The limitations include lack of access at school, the way it sucks you in and snatches snippets of your life away, and the comments you sometimes end up seeing because of someone else's insensitivity.

Sometimes there is just TMI out there!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am very jealous that you are done!! You have passed me up. I think that you will like Facebook. I will look you up and share some common friends with you. I also love your new blog background. I have not figured out how to do that yet. I tried and didn't succeed, but didn't spend a whole lot of time because I need to finish this class. Thanks for following my blog with me. Hopefully we can all find ways to utilize this class in our perspective job titles. Have a great rest of the summer!
    Rosey

    ReplyDelete