Friday, July 10, 2009

Thing #17

I am going to have to think about podcast further and how to best use them. There is a lot of junk out there and it takes a lot of time to find something worthwhile. It would be good to share sites when useful podcasts are found. I found one that mentioned an interview discussing what administrators should be able to do with technology, but they spent forever laughing at their own jokes and talking amongst themselves without getting into the topic very quickly. I don't have time for that.

I do have a teacher creating her own podcast for information to give to parents. This is a very practical use of podcasting. It is personal, meaningful, and specific to our needs.

I enjoyed Dragonfly TV Podcast and felt like this site had much to offer our students. It had videos, games, and activities for students. The information shared was real world and informative. It would capture the attention of our students while giving them valuable information, igniting their curiosity, and confirming that science is fun! I added this to my iTunes library.

I subscribed to Grammar Girl and Just One More Book because both of those offered information I felt I could use. Grammar Girl was just fun and filled with interesting tips that would be good to share with students on the announcements. Just One More Book had a cute introduction and gave reviews of children's books. The reviews were interesting and full of background information that you could share with kids before you read them the book.

I didn't have much luck with searching for podcasts, but will keep trying. I did look at audiobooks to download from iTunes, but most were pretty expensive. It would be great to have the books loaded onto your iPod for trips.

I think the most value for me would be to upload appropriate podcasts to an iPod and listen as I drive or walk. I don't have time to sit at a computer and listen, unless the information is critical to what I am looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment