Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Thing #8

I am excited to learn the purpose of the CC, although I have never really noticed the CC symbol on any sites or graphics. I have struggled with the idea of what is copyrighted and what is not, and I have relied too heavily on my librarian to answer my questions. I feel that I understand things a little better now and can see the difference it will make for me. I always start the year with a powerpoint presentation and will have fun looking for ways to make it more meaningful with images from the web. In the past, I have relied mostly on purchased clip art, and have never really considered the problem of using images from the web. Now I will be able to branch out with confidence. Although I can't really think of a time I have shared my powerpoint presentations online, I can see that it might be a possibility and I want to do it correctly.

In the first video, I related to the visual image and idea of standing on the shoulders of my peers. I have always loved the quote, "If I have been able to see further than others, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants." (Sir Isaac Newton). Again, what a great way for us to synthesize, evaluate, and analyze ideas so that we can make them better fit our purposes.

I did explore the CC Search tool and can see the fun in that! I typed in words like: children, joy, angel, success. Some fascinating pictures popped up, and it was entertaining to see how other people viewed or represented these same words. There was a devilish drawing of a dog that popped up when I typed in "angel" and a precious picture of a family that popped up with "joy." I can see the value of this tool as I put powerpoint presentations together.

I like this new world where "collaboration rules."

No comments:

Post a Comment