Monday, June 29, 2009

Thing #6

It was great fun to open my Google Reader this afternoon and see the updates that had been added. Some sites had no new updates while others did. I could easily skim the titles and first sentence to see if I wanted to read further. Since I am out of town, I went straight to the WFAA blog update and read about a car chase ending in Garland. I have a relative who is a police officer in Garland, so it caught my eye.

It was nice to see the 23 Thingsters blogs that had been updated so I didn't have to search through those going back and forth between screens. I was able to click on the ones I am following and could see immediately what new "things" they had posted.

I am fascinated by the sites my classmates are discovering, and I am finding that it is nice to piggy back off their research and use some of the same sites.

The trick is going to be to find quality feeds and to immerse myself in the "circle of the wise." CS Lewis was quoted in the article as saying, “The next best thing to being wise oneself is to live in a circle of those who are.” I loved all the hints on finding good feeds...look for people who inspire you…when you find someone you trust to follow, see who they blog with…life is too tough to have real and virtual people bring you down....look for people who understand the responsibility of blogging...look for conversationalists....look for people who are widely read and use the information to learn and grow…those who have adopted the mindset of lifelong learner....look for people who strive for excellence in their field---these are shared from http://coolcatteacher.blogspot.com/2006/12/how-to-create-your-circle-of-wise-how.html

I will probably trash several of the feeds that I have currently chosen, but I am going to continue looking for the right feeds for me. If any one else finds some good feeds, please share!!!

I also subscribed to the Quote for the Day feed and feel this quote from Carl Sandburg best describes my current status with 23 Things: "There is an eagle in me that wants to soar, and there is a hippopotamus in me that wants to wallow in the mud."

2 comments:

  1. Wallowing is FUN!!! This is pretty AMAZING!!!!
    WOW!!!! Now you can teach me all this stuff!

    ReplyDelete