Thursday, June 25, 2009

Thing #4

The articles in this learning activity were awesome. I was fascinated by the content but even more fascinated by the comments and interaction. Hence, the whole idea of a blog! Of course, I used the faithful Writeboard to take notes and jot down ideas regarding the blogs and guess I didn't save it! One more lesson learned the hard way!

I am still adjusting to this virtual world. My kids have encouraged me to try some things, but I still struggle with putting my thoughts and feelings out there for everyone to read. When reading the comments on "Why I Don't Assign Homework," I found that I wasn't sure I was ready to handle people disagreeing with me. The conversations between Dan and Griefer were interesting, to say the least. I think Griefer ended with saying something like..."conversation to weird for me." However, the comments between Dan and Jonathan were civil and informative. Both participants seemed to learn from each other. I think I would enjoy blogging subjects like this with my staff. It is a great way to get everyone's opinions and thoughts while stretching and learning from each other.

I also enjoyed, " Is this SSR, 2.0?" Again, it was fun to read about someone's new idea and see how they were thinking out of the box. Without the availability of a blog, this information could not reach so many people so quickly. It was also helpful to read about how others tweaked the idea or changed it to meet their needs. If we want to reach kids, we need to meet them where they are, and they live in this virtual world. If reading blogs teaches them how to pursue new ideas, create beneficial conversations, and read critically, then we are doing something right!

"Spies Like Us" actually scared me to death. The inappropriate use of technology is definitely a problem and teaching ethics as we teach the use of new skills is vital. The comment that Nazi Germany learned how to do what they could do, not what they should do is a perfect example of what can and obviously does happen with the inappropriate use of the tools. Sue Roseman's comment that we should teach as if we are being watched at all times is something I will address with my staff.

I enjoy the informal discussions in a blog. The candor with which people write is refreshing. I do believe that if we have students writing blogs that we need to discuss the difference in this kind of writing, TAKS writing, "research" writing, etc. But, blogs are a great tool and one I think students, parents, and teachers can use in order to better communicate, approach new ideas, and enhance learning.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you about the "spies like us" entry. It scared me at first, but then I decided I liked the idea. We should all act with integrity and do our jobs to the best of our ability. If we do this, we should never have to worry about who is watching or recording our behavior. Institutions cannot stop the march of technology with policies that try to block the use of cutting edge technological capabilities. Thanks for your mention of that article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that disagreement is an important part of blogging. You put your thoughts and feelings out in the open and someone comments who thinks completely differently. Disagreement is not a bad thing if taken the right way. It ALWAYS offers a different perspective from the way that the writer is thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi BA! I love reading your words of wisdom! I am very nonconfrontational so the thought of disagreeing with someone in person is very hard for me. BUT, if you disagree in a blog it seems so much easier. As long as you remember to have tact and back up your reasoning, I think we are ok. It is always interesting to see where other people stand on issues. Like the homework...as a parent, I HATE it, but as a teacher, I can see the importance of it. I think that as with everything in this world, it is about compromise and finding the happy medium!

    ReplyDelete