Monday, June 22, 2009

Thing #2

I have spent hours this evening setting up my blog and playing with my Avatar. I had to redo mine after I realized I had picked the exact same one as another 23 Things participant. How crazy is that?! I guess she and I need to go shopping together. We even had the same outfit!

I am overwhelmed by the possibilities with Web 2.0 and anxious to get more involved in the learning activities. I continue to see my role as one who models the learning for my staff and as an encourager to help them try new things. I also see that I need to provide the time and resources for my teachers to get more involved with these amazing tools.

I worry that my students and parents may not have access to computers, but I will brainstorm some ideas with my staff about how to involve the parents more. I was fascinated by the article that talked about all the ways the teachers, students, and parents communicated, created, and studied with the Web 2.0 tools. This social networking still seems so "out there," but I realize many are already doing these things. This is also how we will hook learners into our classrooms.

I loved the team wikis where students created the study guides and the podcast where parents could listen in on a classroom discussion. This would open the door for so many discussions at home.

These tools need to become part of our instruction rather than activities on the side. I think about how it will fit in with TAKS and look forward to discovering ways we can incorporate preparation for skills tested on TAKS with the digital learner. With TAKS students are expected to think and work at higher levels. Web 2.0 tools encourage this thinking and problem-solving.

I look forward to working with a campus blog where our faculty can discuss books we are reading, share funny stories for the day, do some vertical planning, or create activities that engage learners.

I love using the Writeboard. I am able to take notes while reading articles or watching videos online, and then can refer back to those notes while reflecting on the learning or creating my blog.

Sounds like the best is yet to come!

3 comments:

  1. You might be surprised how many of your students have access to computers and Internet...I know I was. Also, think about encouraging them to use computers at the local library or open the school's computer lab occasionally so the parents and students can benefit from it as well. There are endless possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true...a lot of my students may not have computers themselves but they have an aunt or grandparent or somebody who does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post! I love the idea of using web 2.0 tools to help students prepare for the TAKS test - you go girl! :-)

    ReplyDelete